Monday, 10 September 2012

With a huff and a puff ...

Primary 3 and Primary 4 were very lucky today to spend the afternoon with Mike Gore and Sue Stocklmayer, who came to visit as part of the Orkney Science Festival.  They came to show us some science experiments and told us some stories along the way.  The stories they told us were nursery rhymes and for each nursery rhyme there was a bit of magic!


The first story was about the Three Little Pigs.  We learned that straw can actually be quite strong when we push on each end.


These toilet roll middles were used as an example of how strong straw could be - and we were able to stand on these toilet roll middles without them getting squashed!





We then looked at how the second pig built his house, which was a square shape.


This is not a good shape to build a house - a triangle shape is much stronger!


Another nursery rhyme we read was Humpty Dumpty, who maybe wouldn't have broken into little pieces if he had landed on his head or his feet!  No matter how hard we press an egg on the top or the bottom it won't break - Mrs Kirkness just couldn't manage it!


Some of the class were then challenged to lie in the shape of an egg and try to get back up to sit on their bottoms.  This was very tricky - and some of us guessed that we needed to rock a little before this would work.



We also learned about pushing and pulling through reading about Jack and the Beanstalk.  Everytime we push against something it pushes right back at us.  Did you know this is how an aeroplane can fly?


We blew air into balloons and then let the balloon go.  The balloon flew all over the place - this was because the balloon was pushing against the air and the air pushed back against the balloon and made it whizz around.





We all learned new things about science today by reading nursery rhymes.  We had fun with science - and won't read a nursery rhyme again without thinking about science!

18 comments:

  1. This was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it. I learned that straw is actually very strong.
    Ms Rendall

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it very interesting and cool.
    stewart f

    ReplyDelete
  3. we learnt that tryangyaler houses are stronger than rectangyler
    Conor Fudge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found it very asom.


    by zoe dearness.





    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it very intresting and fun.


      ewan stevenson

      Delete
  5. I learned that toilet roll is strong when you push on the top.
    alex

    ReplyDelete
  6. it was cool that the toilet roll tubes held Adele and Jack
    sam h

    ReplyDelete
  7. I learnd that toilet roll was strong at the top and bottom.from scott rendall

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned that toilet roll can be stronger than you think and hair can be made into rope from Adele

    ReplyDelete
  9. we lernt that STRAW IS REALY STRONG WE LERNT THAT TOILET ROLL IS STRONG
    FROM LIAM AND LAUREN

    ReplyDelete
  10. when we went to see a huff and a puff we learnt that strow is stronger than we
    think.

    eilidh and conor.s

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learned that if you tried to squish the toilet roll in the middle it would flaten.
    Nairn Hall

    ReplyDelete
  12. IT WAS FUN AND COOL.
    BY RHIANA OXER

    ReplyDelete
  13. I found it very exiting and intresting.
    From Isla Donaldson.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I learnt that a triangle roof is stronger than a squareroof.

    by zoe dearness

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I was at the work shop I learnt that an egg is very strong at the top and bottom but sides are not that strong.
    Finn

    ReplyDelete
  16. We learnt that tollet tolbs are strong enoff to hold people
    Ellie soames

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Primary 4 Children and Ms Rendall

    I have really enjoyed finding out about your learning in the science workshop on Monday afternoon, especially since I couldn't stay to find out about it for myself. This blog is a very good way of sharing your experiences and learning with other people.

    Who in the adult world do you think would need to know about the strength of a triangle shape?

    Please reply via the blog.

    Mrs Holt

    ReplyDelete